Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dois Irmãos

On July 14, I will hopefully begin volunteering at an NGO: non-government organization (ONG: organização não governo) called Dois Irmãos or Two Brothers located in the heart of Brazil: Rio de Janeiro. If you click on the image, you can go to their website for more info.


I worked with one of the organizers, Paul Sneed, and his wife Jeyla dos Reis, at San Diego State University during my initial Portuguese classes, and am excited to lend a hand to their organization. I will hopefully be renting a room/apartment with a friend of mine from Austin who will also be traveling to Rio during the summer. Or I'll have a chance to live in the favela (Brazilian "ghetto") with other volunteers if I choose. Rocinha, the favela where i2i is situated, is the largest and most established favela in Rio, if not in all of Brazil. It's the first (and only?) favela to actually have a bus line that runs through it, so it's at least partially recognized by the government. While there, I may be teaching English or Spanish, or maybe computer skills. The ONG offers educational opportunities to kids who otherwise might not have them due to poverty.

More details later.

No comments: